Thursday, March 11, 2010

Gregory Reyes Trial

I started my career as an engineer at Digital Equipment Corporation in the early 1980's and I now am a Senior Vice President at EMC Corporation, the largest Storage Company in the world. Prior to EMC, I was CEO of a startup storage company in Massachusetts, Pirus Networks. Pirus is what caused Greg and I to meet. Key to my success in my career has been having great mentors to learn from, such as Greg Reyes.

I count myself lucky to have worked with Greg Reyes over the years as a partner and a customer. Greg is a selfless, nurturing leader willing to assist others less established. Despite the recent press, Greg is a high integrity man that is devoted to his family, friends, colleagues and shareholders.

For several years when I traveled to California as the CEO of a startup company, Greg made time to meet with me and we would discuss our families, business, world events and our industry. Greg always provided thoughtful and insightful coaching in these meetings. I know he helped many more junior business leaders in similar ways as he did myself.

Over the years, I have seen Greg not just as a mentor, but as a colleague and a customer. As a customer at Sun Microsystems and EMC, I have seen first hand the integrity and moral fabric of one of the most respected members of the computer industry.

At Brocade, Greg was a tough business leader focused on building one of the fastest growing companies in the storage industry, thereby, producing huge shareholder value. Greg was the point relationship person for Brocade's top customers; Hewlett Packard, Sun Microsystems, EMC Corporation, etc. These key relationships, having seen them first hand, enabled the success of Brocade which came from the confidence that we at Sun and EMC, etc., had in Greg's integrity and leadership.

It should be pointed out that prior to Greg's arrival at Brocade, the company was in deep trouble. One of my former employers, Adaptec, had looked at buying Brocade for a tiny fraction of Brocade's value after Greg joined the company.

Many of us m the industry are frankly confused and perplexed by the charges against Greg whom is such a respected man who has created billions of dollars of shareholder value. It is disconcerting to those of us that have been a shareholder of Brocade and in the industry, to see what benefit is being served sending Greg to prison.

If Greg continues to be found guilty of wrong doing, which is very hard to comprehend then I can only hope the punishment will reflect the scale of the damages as compared to the huge value he has created in the industry and to Brocade shareholders.

Greg has a young family and the damages and harm to them would be far greater, than to the shareholders of Brocade. I don't see how justice will be served by imprisoning a Mr. Greg Reyes.



Realtime Court Status

Gregory Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment